Sunday, August 30, 2009

First day of school!

OK, not really. We actually already have about 20 days logged. But tomorrow is our first official day of school, and we're ready... I hope!

Tonight was very sweet. Before Nicholas went to bed, I snuggled up with him on the sofa and told him that I had a very special story to tell him. Then I told him Star Money, which is our fairy tale this week. After, I gave him a kiss and said "Goodness, this is the last night I'll kiss my preschool Nick. Tomorrow you'll be a kindergartener!" He looked so proud.

I spent most of today getting the school room ready. Here's the ten cent tour.

My new cubbies that replaced my ratty old shelves. On the very top are supplies I don't want Daniel getting into: regular crayons, the supply caddy that sits on the table during our school day, colored pencils, and beeswax crayons.

Top row of cubbies is math materials: Michael's, Katie Grace's, and Nicholas's. Next row, language arts. Finally at the bottom are main lesson materials. Michael will be starting off the year with a review of fractions and moving into decimals, Katie Grace will be reviewing the four processes with an emphesis on multiplication, and Nicholas will be doing a fairy tale/letter each week, starting with Star Money and the letter A.

Next to the cubbies in the shelf that stores our games. And a dangly power cord, apparently. Obviously, I need to clean this up.
The second set of cubbies has our nature table on top, away from little hands. Then we have: Row 1, seasonal cubby with lacing cards and worksheets, Christian Ed materials, and a little altar. Row 2, art (Still Life by Cezanne this week), reference and writing materials, and music appreciation (Mozart). Row 3, the first cubby is adjacent to Nicholas's main lesson cubby and I'm thinking we'll use it to make a little display that tells the story, then science, and finally, Story of the World.

Here's a picture of how they look together. Next to the cubbies is a four shelf unit that has other notebooks and mail lesson books, and then our paper bin with the finished work box on top, as shown below.
Note to self: empty trash.
This shelf is stocked with toys to keep Daniel busy. I even have three little workboxes for him, just in case he wants them.
Nicholas's workboxes to keep him busy while I work with everyone else. Unfortunately, the numbers are messed up because I thought I had velcro and didn't. On top are the legos, which Daniel still manages to get into, and the dry erase boards.
A little workspace for Nicholas with the chalkboard, including the Star Money picture, and some seasonal books. My ugly little portfolio box is on the floor. The pockets on the side of the cabinet hold various forms and Katie Grace's files, and the cabinet has materials and supplies I don't want the kids to touch.

It does feel like we have so much stuff. I don't know what I'd give up though. It all seems essential. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. Wish us luck!

0 comments: