Monday, November 3, 2008

Story of the World: The Bottom of the World and The Kingdom of the Franks

Last week, we visited the bottom of the world: Australia and New Zealand.

One thing that's been interesting to the children is the universality of creation stories. The one that's popped up again and again is the idea of world/island beginning on the back of a sea creature. First Sinbad the Sailor visited an island on the back of a sea monster. Then the Maori people believed their island started when a small boy caught "the biggest fish of all" that turned into an island when his older brothers hacked at it to stop it from eating them. In Michael study of Pennsylvania Native Americans, we learned the creation story about the first man and woman coming from a great turtle's back. And in Katie Grace's Celtic saints block, St. Brendan visited an island that was actually a whale.

It was a great week for reading Australian and Maori legends and folk tales. The Pumpkin Runner by Marsha Dianne Arnold was a big hit.

One highlight of the week was making moth mix. The Aborigines ate insects as a protein mix. We made "moth mix" but substituted peanuts as a protein source. Popcorn, peanuts, a tablespoon each of honey and cooking oil-- yum!

We were going to paint our faces like Maori warriors, but couldn't find the face paint. There's always tomorrow!

We left Australia and New Zealand today and move into the Frankish kingdom tomorrow. I just like the name Clovis. I've often thought if we ever get a cat, I would name it Clovis. If I ever lose my mind and we get a hamster, I would name it Grendl. But I digress.

Besides reading in Story of the World and doing dictation and map work, we'll also be looking at a great book I got from the library, Medieval Tales that Kids Can Read and Tell by Lorna MacDonald Czarnota. The kids will also have an opportunity to map out their own dynasty. Seeing how Michael is convinced that God has called him to a life of celibacy (The Talk didn't go so well), his paper should be rather short.

The other suggested activities are mostly dress up projects. Since we're already drowning in dress ups, we'll pass on making anything new, but maybe we'll dress up as Frankish Kings.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Moth mix, oh my! lol.

You guys always sound like you have so much fun and enjoy living life. So nice to read about..... I truly enjoy your blog.

Annette said...

Oh, thanks! That's a sweet thing to say. We really do have a lot of fun. And the moth mix was yummy.

Anonymous said...

Grendl is a fun name - my brother's Frisbee team is called Grendl's Mom!