Monday, January 12, 2009

Story of the World: The Mongols and The Mysterious East

We're doubling up on our Story of the World chapters this week. We don't have much going on by way of extra activities. I was going to make peanut chicken, but the kids still haven't gotten over the peanut butter noodles I made a few months ago, and they outvoted me.

We did learn today that Genghis Kahn was not a very nice person. And that the Mongols could go days without food. If they got hungry, they would open a vein on their horse, drink its blood, close the vein, and ride on. Ew.

I did find this online game I may let Michael play. Not sure if I want to encourage him to try to conquer the world though.

Tomorrow we move on to the Mongol conquest of China. There's a great map on the Wiki page that shows how they expanded the conquest. And here's a kids' page about the Mongols conquering Asia.

For the rest of the week, we'll be studying Marco Polo, the City of Ming, and the Silk Road.

You can find a map of Marco Polo's route here and more information about Marco Polo and his travels here. There's also a Marco Polo word find here.

We'll also be doing the Silk Road activity from the Story of the World. Who knows? If you're lucky, maybe I'll remember to post pictures! :D

0 comments: