Thursday, April 30, 2009

Something wicked this way comes...

Today we found the best Story of the World activity since mummifying a chicken-- Eye-of-Newt Soup. We have been studying Shakespeare. Macbeth, to be exact. Michael made the connection between Shakespeare's "weird women" and the Weird Sisters from Harry Potter. They also enjoyed seeing how many common phrases were originally coined by Shakespeare. But they were pleasantly surprised when they discovered that we were making Eye-of-Newt Soup for desert.

Imagine their surprise when they walked into the kitchen and found this:
Eye of newt? Severed fingers? Hey, are those chocolate frogs?!?! Yes. Yes they are.

We didn't use all the suggestions from Story of the World. Our recipe included:
Severed fingers: Tootsie rolls
Eye of newt: Chocolate chips
Tongue of dog: Red licorice bits
Lizard's leg: Broken up pretzel bits
Fillet of fenny snake: Gummy worms
Owlet's wing: Cake decorating pastel circles
Scale of dragon: Smarties
Tooth of Wolf: Good and Plenty
Gall of Goat: Chai chocolate drops
Baboon blood: Grape juice

Daniel was very excited to see what would happen next.




Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.
Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the caldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hot broth boil and bubble.

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.
Scale of dragon; tooth of wolf;
Witches' mummy; maw and gulf
Of the ravin'd salt-sea shark;
Gall of goat removed in the dark






Cool it with a baboon's blood,
Then the charm is firm and good.

Daniel REALLY like the baboon's blood.





Stir it up.
And then we snack.
Sigh. They don't get much candy.

Daniel liked the fillet o' snake, possibly even more than the baboon's blood.

The discerning reader may note that there are some changes between Shakespeare's original scene and our version. I'm totally OK with it, although I wish the authors of Story of the World would make a note when they change the text in this manner.

Tomorrow we're trying our hand at stage fighting.

2 comments:

Carolyn R. Parsons said...

Oh, you are a fun mommy..I wish you were my mom! I never think of things like this...candy too..yum!

and I love Shakespeare! See this is why I could never homeschool. I'd be too boring!

Unknown said...

How totally fun is this!? Excellent. Must feed-read share this one.