If you want your children to be brilliant, tell them fairy tales.
If you want them to be very brilliant, tell them even more fairy tales.
Albert Einstein
Katie Grace is totally into Grimm's Fairy Tales lately. I have a huge paperback that has them all, no illustrations, and it's her first pick at story time, every time.
We're running into a couple issues, though.
One: While I completely get the whole archetypal deal, I'm utterly uncomfortable identifying the villain as a "Jew" or other stereotypical bad guy. So there's some quick thinking involved to change things around.
Two: This is related, but a little harder to vamp. I really loathe the whole dark = bad; light/white = good imagery. I feel like it plants the seeds that perpetuate racial stereotypes. But in some of the tales, it's so ingrained in the story that it's hard to avoid or rephrase. If nothing else, it keeps me on my toes.
We've moved... come and join us!
14 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment