Friday, January 12, 2007

Friday, Week's End

Ah, the end of the week! We're still all working on getting healthy. I didn't go volunteer in Michael's classroom today and sent my hubby instead. He had a great time. Maybe we'll take turns!

I missed a midwife appointment last Friday because of my cold, and am going tomorrow instead. I'm really looking forward to some peaceful time alone. I'm a complete introvert, and depend on alone time to recharge my batteries. This makes attachment parenting a little difficult for me, but if I can find the right balance, it all works out.

This was a pretty good week. Wednesday, Nicholas stayed with Grandma and Grandpa for the day and we took the older two to see Mary Poppins on Broadway. It was absolutely incredible. I've avoided all the Disney musicals on general principle, but decided to give this one a chance since Cameron MacIntyre was backing it. At the end of "Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious" I looked over and Katie Grace had tears in her eyes. Worried that it was all too overstimulating, I asked if she was OK. She said, "Mama, I just love it so much. It's so beautiful!" It was wonderful to pass my love of theater on to the children

Thursday was spent mostly recovering, LOL. We did the marketing and read and played a bit.

Today we got back into the routine. They really do love circle time, and it's such a blessing to be able to give them that gift. I've been doing a unit study-type deal at main lesson time, and basing it on whatever chapter of Little House in the Big Woods we read the night before. Today we talked about Ma's cleaning schedule:
Wash on Monday,
Iron on Tuesday,
Mend on Wednesday,
Churn on Thursday,
Clean on Friday,
Bake on Saturday,
Rest on Sunday.


We drew some pictures of what those chores looked like then and what they look like now, although I'm ashamed to say Katie Grace had no clue what ironing looked like, either in the past OR in the present. We also talked about Laura's house and our house, and how they were the same and how they were different.

We made soft pretzels today, except they weren't pretzel-shaped--they were balls and pancakes and hearts and snails and whatever else came into their heads. They were yummy though!

And this afternoon we sat down and colored together after reading a poem about evergreens. I've also gotten down my button jar, and we had a great time looking at all the buttons. We even glued some on paper to make button pictures.

Library in the evening, followed by pizza and the children putting on a play. A very, very, very long play, sigh. And now, bed.

Books we Read Today
Winter Days in the Big Woods (First Little House Book)
The Mitten by Alvin Tresselt
You Can Go to the Potty by Dr. Sears
What Baby Wants by Phyllis Root
Sun Bread by Elisa Klevin
Catch Me and Kiss Me and Say It Again by Wendy Watson


1 comments:

Kara said...

So glad you had such a wonderful time at Mary Poppins - sounds truly magical! :-)

We're baking pretzels, today! Or, rather Boo and her father are. The baby and I are just invited to eat the final product. It's pretty entertaining watching them try to twist them into actual pretzels shapes LOL

Best Wishes!