Thursday, February 22, 2007

D d, E e, F f

Somehow, I got behind on the letters. We've been telling and retelling Mother Holle. D was the door to her home, E was the golden key she used to open the gate. And now, for today.

8:00 Another late start, but we all got up and got going.

8:30 Breakfast and tidying up the kitchen. Katie Grace is quite the little helper. She likes to wipe the table, take out the recyclables, and then use the dustpan after I sweep. Nicholas likes to help wipe the table and open the door so she can take out the recyclables. We sang a winter verse I made up to "Good Morning, Dear Earth":
Good morning, dear frost
On my window so dear.
Good morning, dear snow,
I'm so glad that you're here!
Good morning, dear ice
And dear wind rushing free.
Good morning to you,
And good morning to me.

9:00 Circle Time with Mother Holle and King Winter

9:30 F is for Mother Holle's feathers that were shaken from her quilt. Nicholas played with k'nex while we colored.

10:00 We made oatmeal muffins from a recipe in the old Mothers in the Kitchen cookbook from LLL.
Combine 1 cup rolled oats and 1 cup buttermilk.
Add 1 egg, beaten and mix well.
Add 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup oil.
Sift together 1 c whole wheat flour (although next time I might try a mix of unbleached and whole wheat), 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda,and 1 teaspoon baking powder and add to the oatmeal mixture, only enough to dampen.
Fill muffin tins 2/3 full and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

They were pretty yummy!

10:30 Nicholas wanted to play Chutes and Ladders, so we got it down.

11:00 Clothes sorting--I got all the girl clothes sorted and boxed, W00t!--while Nick and Katie Grace played upstairs.

11:30 Noticed it was snowstorming! Had several deep intense discussions with DH about canceling my midwife appointment, which I did. Katie Grace found her baby quilt and pretended to be Mother Holle shaking it out while singing some of the songs we've been learning.

Noon The snow stopped. DH came home for lunch and decided to work from home for a bit.

12:30 Retold Mother Holle with some songs. We also read the picture book Grandmother Winter, which is essentially the same story.

1:00 Tidied the kitchen and did some dinner prep (made some bacon for the quiche).

1:30 Kids played "puppy" by tying silks around each others' waists and going for walks while I worked on the Spring book.

2:00 We almost finished reading "Birthday Soup" from Little Bear and started "Little House in the Prairie".

2:30 Bob the Builder and nap for me.

3:30 Snack and homework. No outside today, as it was below freezing.

4:00 The kids were really into building with blocks, even Michael.

0 comments: