We started out with The Armada Portrait of Elizabeth I by George Gower. Again, we got to be "art detectives" and look for clues in the painting. We found hints both about history and about Queen Elizabeth's status.

One interesting fact we learned: Queen Elizabeth I was both vain and distrustful of her artists. She didn't have faith that they would paint a flattering picture of her--minus the pock marks, black teeth, small eyes, narrow lips and false hair. So, all artists had to copy from officially approved face patterns.
To start our art project, we first traced a face pattern of Queen Elizabeth I. Michael chose to be whimsical and paint her as she might look if she became President of the United States. Katie Grace went for a more elegant look, complete with "jewels".
Another royal portrait we enjoyed was Edward VI as a Child by Hans Holbein the Younger.

0 comments:
Post a Comment