Monday, November 2, 2009

Starting with Shakespeare

I am really, really, really, really, really excited for Michael's main lesson block this month. It's not a fifth grade Waldorf block, but rather recommended reading from Ambleside Online, a Charlotte Mason homeschooling curriculum. We're starting with Shakespeare this month!

When I was in college, I remember reading a book called by E. D. Hirsch, Jr called Cultural Literacy. Cultural literacy is the idea that we, as a culture, have a shared bank of idioms, allusions, stories, slang, and other informal content that we draw from in order to communicate with one another. One of the points of the book is that we, as Americans, are losing that cultural literacy. I remember one example being that children no longer could be counted on to know nursery rhymes. One of the things that drew me to Waldorf education was its recognition of the rich heritage to be found in nursery rhymes, fairy tales, and children's songs.

What better example of shared culture than Shakespeare?! We'll be using the Charles and Mary Lamb adaptations-- another thing I remember well from my childhood-- and started today with The Tempest. Of course, we'll also include a good bit of the original Shakespeare as well.

I'm very excited to start this main lesson block with Michael. I'm not sure he shares my enthusiasm, though. His take on Romeo and Juliet? "Well, the part where everyone dies sounds interesting, but the kissing part? YUCK!"

He is, after all, still a ten-year-old boy.

So, what's your favorite Shakespeare tale? I'd love to know!

0 comments: