Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Day in the Life

Happy Tuesday and Happy Candlemas!

As usual, our Tuesday started with oatmeal. Following some laundry, we began our school day with the story of the Presentation. After, we worked together on a cooperative junk sculpture to go with our art this week, Louise Nevelson's Sky Cathedral.

Michael and Katie Grace started on their independent work while Daniel, Nicholas, and I had circle. It was groundhog time!
We pretended to eat like groundhogs.
And use our claws like groundhogs.
We went back to the table and made a groundhog puppet.
And later we even made a groundhog cave! Not much hibernating happened though.

Nicholas worked through his boxes and Daniel puttered around while Katie Grace had her main lesson (Astronomy) and Michael had his (North American Geography and Mapmaking). In between, I started the potato bacon chowder for lunch and began a craft project-- beanbags representing the different moon phases.
These go great with our Winter Lights circle from Seasons of Joy!
Nicholas helped out with lunch (wearing a cape instead of an apron, of course!). We're still cooking our way through John McCutcheon's song "Soup" and are up to "potato soup".

After lunch we did our usual tidy and then had read aloud: The Sister's Grimm. The Katie Grace was off to orchestra and I finished up my beanbags and also whipped up this little gnomie finger puppet for Nicholas.
We had one more project to fit in before dinner-- under the bed storage for Nicholas.
Daniel helped when he wasn't dancing on the bubble wrap.
Now you see it!
Now you don't!
Ignore the yucky bunk bed top. Usually I have a piece of fabric up there covering the slats, but Mr. Deconstructionist decided to liberate it for some project or other.

Daddy took Katie Grace to ballet and we made dinner-- corn fritterish pancakes shaped like a big round sun for Candlemas!

Hope you had a wonderful day as well. I would love to hear about it! I'm thinking of doing a "Day in the Life" round up where people could document their days and post a link. Please let me know if you would be interested.

4 comments:

Libbytown said...

I'd be interested. =D

Tan Family said...

We'd be interested, too! I love your post today (especially those bean bags...neat!). We also celebrated a bit for Candlemas and Groundhog's Day (see our blog post if you get a chance).

Courtney said...

I'd love to as well. I haven't done one in several years.

Anonymous said...

Looking at your phases of the moon made me think of Emeril's sausage and pepper calzones (recipe on his website) which is an easy recipe that kids love.