Thursday, October 9, 2008

Do over!

No one has ever accused me of being an optimist.

Seriously. I've always been a "glass half-empty" kind of gal.

So I'm not sure why, in the midst of the Global Economic Crisis, I'm actually feeling kind of positive. Maybe even a little relieved.

In the midst of all the panic--and I'm stockpiling toilet paper like everyone else--I can't help but wonder if this will usher in a change.

Maybe if people can't go out and buy the latest and greatest version of The Next Big Thing, they'll stay home and bake cookies or play a board game or just talk. You know, instead of working to buy more stuff and go further in debt and then having to work some more, maybe we can all just slow down. Maybe people will wake up to the futility of mindless consumerism and debt, and instead, invest time in those things that don't break or depreciate in value or become obsolete.

Maybe once we all realize how precious and finite earth's resources are, we'll take the time to create something beautiful and unique instead of buying something cheap, mass-produced, and destined for the landfill.

Maybe some of lost arts--bread-baking, sewing, canning, gardening--will be revisited. Maybe we'll get back into real food instead of fast food. Maybe we can craft things for our children and babies. Maybe instead of a glut of gifts, we can instead get back to the true meaning of gift-giving.

Maybe mothers will feel free to sit in rocking chairs and nurse their infants and wash their diapers and make their toys instead of purchasing bag after bag of processed plastic stuff. Maybe children will stop interacting with computers and recordings, and learn again to interact with other children and grown-ups.

Maybe this will cause us all to just slow down and focus again on what really matters. A girl can dream.

Set your mind on the things that are above, not on the things that are upon the earth.
Colossians 3:2

1 comments:

Tammy said...

I've been thinking of this post of yours all day long. So much food for thought. Thank you for sharing this with your readers. I feel so much the same way.....