Sunday, October 19, 2008

I should have known they would figure out a way around it...

Up until several years ago, I didn't even allow my children to participate in Halloween. I felt it was ugly and gory and glorified the Culture of Death Pope John Paul II so often spoke about.

Them as they became school aged, two things happened: they got invited to a few All Saints' Day parties, and they realized their friends were getting candy and they weren't.

So, I relented. I said they could dress up and go to parties/trick or treating, but only if they chose a saint or Biblical character or a great hero. Last year, Michael somehow got to be Frodo, but mostly it's worked out pretty well.

This year, however, they decided they wanted something more grown-up.

So Michael is going as a headless guy, aka St. Denis




And Katie Grace wants to be an eyeless girl, aka St. Lucy
Paper mache head. Ping pong ball eyes. 'Nuff said.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

OH. MY. GOSH.

That is just TOO funny.

What creative kids you have.

Again, that's way funny. :)

Tammy said...

Me again, sorry. :)

I read this post to my kids and showed them the pictures, and they are SO IMPRESSED with your kids' creativity.

Many chuckles and high fives from my kids to yours. :)

Alexandra said...

Great ideas for costumes. We don't enjoy Halloween either. The meaning has changed...it's not like it used to be when I was little. The innocence is gone. You are right, it's now too close to the culture of death.

Melisa & Erik Nielsen said...

That is too funny! It keeps you from dealing with High School Musical and Hannah Montana! I love the saints idea... You are awesome!