Monday, May 11, 2009

Book Review: A First Book of Knitting for Children


A First Book of Knitting for Children by Bonnie Gosse is one of the classic handwork books you often see recommended in Waldorf circles. I've always been slightly confused as to whether it was a book of knitting for adults who are making things for children, or a book of ideas for children to make for themselves. In the end, I believe it's a little of both.

The book begins with a child-sized history of knitting and then moves into the basic mechanics-- yarn, needles and other tools, and then how to knit. The rhymes are sweet and easy to remember, and will help you and your child make a disappearing knot, cast on, make a knit stitch, undo stitches, and cast off.

The projects begin simply. With a knit stitch only, you can make a striped ball, a lamb, a lion, a pig, an elephant, a doll, and a horse. That's a lot of projects for a beginner! Adding the purl stitch, you can create a cat, a chicken, a sea otter, or a sweet little boy with his hands in his pockets. There are even instructions on making your own knitting needles!

Katie Grace has been wanting to learn to knit for a while. I've felt reluctant to step up, not being able to knit anything other than a washcloth myself. With it's clear explanations, beautiful color photos, and step-by-step patterns, I believe that even I can help my daughter learn to knit using this book! I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Annette! I contacted you last fall, as we were relocating to PA and figuring out the homeschooling requirements, etc. Any time you or your daughter would like help with knitting please don't hesitate to stop by Glenda's Knit Knook down by the mall. It's my mom's shop and we LOVE to help people! My daugher is 10 now, but learned to knit when she was 5 (mind you, she doesn't like it -- "I prefer to read a book."). :)

Annette said...

Oh, wow. You're wonderful, thank you!!! I'm going to give it one more try, but whether we succeed or not, we'll definitely have to stop by!

How did things go with the relocation? Are you homeschooling?

Unknown said...

We are homeschooling (just finished the "bookwork" and are focusing on a rock study for the remainder of the year). I think we're all a bit burnt out and in need of a break. :) Good luck with the knitting and hope to see you at the shop one day!