OK, I'm trying not to be creeped out by this.
Michael has orchestra today and my husband had this ecumenical bishop synodical thingie, which left me (and the other three children) to get him there. It only lasts a half-hour, and since my New Year Resolution to no longer eat fast food (which I haven't blogged about because that means I have no back way out of the resolution, LOL!)rules out my usual time-killer of McDonald's cookies, I decided we'd pop over to the deli/butcher to get something for dinner tonight instead.
An older lady recognized my children. This wasn't a big deal. With DH being a pastor, people are forever recognizing us even when I don't have a clue who they are. She introduced herself, and then she teased Nicholas about his shoes being on the wrong feet. Again, no huge deal. He often puts them on the wrong feet--sometimes I catch it, sometimes I don't, but it doesn't seem to bother him much so I admit I am fairly lackadaisical about the whole thing. Then she asked why Katie Grace wasn't in school. By now, my smile was getting a little fixed--my meat was in the bag, the kids were itching to open the lollies "Aunt Mary" gave them, and I forgot the sling for the 50 pound baby. But I said, "She's homeschooled."
To which she replied, "What about Michael?"
"He's homeschooled too."
"But he's not here."
*is getting uncomfortable*
"He's over at the school. He takes cello and goes to orchestra."
"Oh, I wondered. My daughter B. told me you pulled him out."
And it clicked. B. F. = school psychologist who tested Michael and told me how off-the-chart brilliant he was and how it was a good thing I put him in school where they could give him what he needed to excel. B. F. the school psychologist who told me Katie Grace was showing signs of being profoundly gifted as well, and that I should put her in school, too. B. F. the school psychologist who has no business discussing my children or my educational choices with anyone, especially her mother who is a church member.
The whole thing is leaving me feeling a little violated and I don't really know why.
We've moved... come and join us!
14 years ago
4 comments:
yikes!That is creepy.
Visitor here. What she did is wrong and actually against the law.
I agree with Jamie. I would contact the school right away! I would also contact the local or state phys. board.
Your upset because this woman was talking about you behind your back.
I use the behind your back part because she obviously doesn't agree with your views so you can assume whatever she said wasn't flattering.
It reminds me of when my Mom told me my cousin started her first period. My cousin who lived 2000 mi away and I only saw every other year. I was very clear with my Mom that that was personal info and she had no business telling me and my aunt had no business telling her.
It is illegal and for good reason but I don't think there is really any recourse here.
My advice is to have the principal refer you you to a new psych at a different school and let him know why he is doing it.
Good luck! I love your blog. It always makes me feel normal again when I start worrying about how different we are as homeschoolers.
Thanks.
Post a Comment