Saturday, August 30, 2008

Swiftly go the days...

I thought I would share how our day goes on a good day (and how I wish it would go on a bad day, LOL!)

Sometime between 6 and 7, I get up. I take care of laundry, including folding and sorting it into our laundry bins (dishpans labeled with each child's name). I also try to get kitchen chores started and do any prep work for meals. I try to get my shower at this time, get dressed, and start breakfast, all while listening to NPR. It's peaceful, because our family rule is that no one except Mama and Daddy can come downstairs before 7 AM.

I try to have breakfast going by 7 and then roust the troops. Michael and Katie Grace can usually be bribed with the promise of breakfast, but Nicholas is like his mama-- he'd sleep the day away if he could. The kids start their morning routine before breakfast by getting dressed, taking care of their night things, washing their faces and brushing their hair, and making their beds. After breakfast, they take up their laundry and put it away and brush their teeth. They also give their rooms a once over. This is when I run upstairs and finish getting ready for the day. Then I hang out the laundry and maybe water the garden.

We have devotions next. We'd like to do this with Daddy, but usually he's left for work by then.

Following devotions, we'll have art or music appreciation together. This is something that's still being worked out.

Next Michael goes up to write in his journal and I have circle time with Nicholas, Daniel, and Katie Grace. She likes to feel like she's helping lead it with the little ones.

Now the fun starts.
Katie writes in her journal while I teach Michael his math lesson.
Nicholas plays with Daniel.

Then Michael works on his math exercises while I give Katie Grace her lesson.
Nicholas still plays with Daniel.

While Katie Grace does her exercises, I do a math-oriented activity with Nicholas if there's time. Michael either finishes his math or plays with Daniel. He likes to read him books.

If we've made it this far without everything exploding, we have a snack. Usually it's about 10 AM. Sometimes we do a cooking project like making cookies or soft pretzels. I might run down and switch the laundry.

Next we have Christian Ed. This is also a work in progress. We follow the rhythm of the church year, so we might do an activity related to that. If it's a saint's day, we learn about the saint and maybe do some copywork.

Now we're coming up to what we call The Language Arts Big Fun Hour. It gets crazy.
I set someone up with copywork or handwriting and work on grammar or writing with someone else. Then we reverse. I send Katie Grace to read to or play with Nick and the baby, and I work with Michael on spelling. Then he has until lunch to: finish spelling, handwriting, writing or grammar, and read a chapter of whatever book he's reading. (Right now, it's Stuart Little). Next Katie and I do a reading lesson, followed by what we call "You Read to Me and I'll Read to You." She reads to me from an easy reader and then I read a chapter of a Katie book, usually American Girls. Then I go over her spelling, and she works independently. If there's any time left before lunch (and miraculously, there usually is) I do something with Nicholas.

Sometimes we even have time to clean the room of the day before noon!

*Deep Breath*

LUNCH! The hardest part of the day is over. The kids eat, I do any kitchen chores and meal prep that need done. I also try to get a few chores done. The kids run and play outside for a bit. They like to call it "recess." Then they come in for read-aloud.

The next couple hours are pretty negotiable. We always do a little Story of the World, we might do a little science. Sometimes we go on a nature walk or a field trip. We try to do art and music a couple times a week. I want to start adding some Latin into the mix as well. This is also a time for the kids to follow their own education interests.

Whatever we do, we're usually done by around 2:30. The kids clean up the school room while I check any papers in the finished work box, log attendance, whatever needs done.

Usually next the kids duke it out for screen time. They each get a half and hour, and have to choose between a TV, computer, or video games. The rest of the day is pretty much their own.

At this point, the day sort of falls apart. I suppose that's my next goal-- to have an afternoon routine for myself.

0 comments: