Sunday, August 24, 2008

This week's feasts and festivals, plans and projects

Have I mentioned how good it feels to be back in a routine again? Oh yeah. *happy sigh*

Monday, August 25: We are officially back to school. We started dipping our toes in the water last week, but this week we're jumping in with both feet! It's also Leonard Bernstein's Birthday so we'll be listening to a Young Person's Concert or two,

Wednesday, August 27: St. Monica
I love St. Monica. She was a mama just like me, and St. Augustine gave her more trouble than mine ever will.... and look how great he turned out! I know novenas are supposed to begin 9 days before a feast day, but since God is outside time and space I am hoping He and St. Monica won't mind if I start my novena to St. Monica on her feast day. I could use some mama-guidance from above. It's a pretty simple one. Just pray this prayer, either nine days in a row or every hour for nine hours:

Exemplary Mother of the Great Augustine,
You perserveringly pursued your wayward son
Not with wild threats
But with prayerful cries to heaven.

Intercede for all mothers in our day
So that they may learn
To draw their children to God.

Teach them how to remain
Close to their children,
Even the prodigal sons and daughters
Who have sadly gone astray.

Dear St Monica, troubled wife and mother,
Many sorrows pierced your heart
During your lifetime.
Yet you never despaired or lost faith.
With confidence, persistence and profound faith,
You prayed daily for the conversion
Of your beloved husband, Patricius
And your beloved son, Augustine.

Grant me that same fortitude,
Patience and trust in the Lord.
Intercede for me, dear St. Monica,
That God may favorably hear my plea
For

(mention your petition here)

And grant me the grace
To accept his will in all things,
Through Jesus Christ, our Lord,
In the unity of the Holy Spirit,
One God forever and ever. Amen.


Thursday, August 28: St. Augustine

When I was in college, we sang a beautiful collection of choral pieces based on quotes from St. Augustine. One of my favorites:

Thou hast made us for Thyself, O God, and our hearts are restless until they rest in Thee.

I smell copywork.

Katie Grace has Little Flowers today. They're learning about loyalty, going on a picnic, and meeting with Sister Kelly, one of the Capuchin Sisters from the Mother of the Eucharist Convent. Katie Grace loves Sister Kelly, and is really looking forward to seeing her again. She's talked with the girls before, and they all love her.

Friday, August 29: The Martyrdom of John the Baptist

I don't know how much we'll celebrate this one . I tend to avoid the gory stuff with my kids. Although, who knows. They might like it.


Michael and Katie Grace also both start soccer this week.

0 comments: