Monday, January 28, 2008

Do all things with love...

Our day began with devotions. The theme verse of the week is "Love never fails." Today we read from 1 John 3:11, 16-19. They're beautiful words:

This is how we know what love is, that Jesus Christ laid down His life for us.

We sang the same song from "Hide 'Em in Your Heart." It's arranged as an echo song. I told them I would be the leader again tomorrow, and the we would see who knew the verse well enough to lead the song Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.

After a quick journal entry and Daily Geography we had math lessons--multiplication with three digits and regrouping for Michael, and adding and subtracting two digit numbers with regrouping for Katie Grace.

This is where I hit my first snag of the day. I must, must, must plan stuff for Nicholas to do while the other two are having lessons. I just have to make the time to do it.

After math, we take a little break. I switched the laundry, tidied the kitchen, and made Aunt Mary's Squares from The Parenting Cookbook.

CRUST:
1 stick butter, softened
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons water
1 1/4 C unbleached flout
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
12 oz chocolate chips

TOPPING
2 large eggs
1 C finely chopped nuts (we used pecans)
3/4 C sugar
Pinch salt
6 Tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350. In a large bowl, mix all the crust ingredients except the chocolate chips. Press into the bottom of a rectangular pan and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the size of your pan.

Meanwhile, make the topping by combining all the topping ingredients.

Removed the pan from the oven and scatter the chips evenly over the crust. Bake another minute or two, until melted, and then spread the chocolate evenly over the crust with a spatula.

Spread the topping on the chocolate and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool and cut into squares.

Yummy.

We're still working on our study of the names of Jesus in honor of the Holy Name this January. Today we talked about Jesus as "Prince of Peace".

Then it was Language Arts Happy Fun Hour. Things get crazy here, and again, I would really benefit from having something planned for Nick. First, I read the next part of Writing Magic to Michael while Katie Grace finished her drawing for Christian Ed. Then while Michael wrote, Katie Grace and I did a reading and grammar lesson. Then we all sat down and listened to this week's poem, Robert Frost's Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening. Katie Grace worked on copywork--The woods are lovely, dark and deep.--while Michael and I talked about the mechanics of writing a business letter. He wrote a business letter requesting info from the Hershey Chamber of Commerce while Katie Grace did copywork and I nursed the baby. Then we read Susan Jeffers's version of Stopping by Woods... and called it a morning.

Today was Daddy's last day of vacation, so while I made lunch he read the next chapter from The Long Winter. After lunch, Michael did a little more writing and Katie Grace played with Nicholas and Daniel. Then Michael went to orchestra and the speech therapist came for Nicholas. While Nicholas had speech, Katie Grace (and then Michael when he got home) got caught up in Meet Kirsten, An American Girl. We then read about the Ancient Chinese and how the Empress discovered silk in Story of the World. Nicholas fell asleep, but Katie Grace was fascinated by the idea that our play silks were made of caterpillar spit.


Since both Nicholas and Daniel and Daddy were all asleep, I took the older two to the library. When we came home, it was time for our very first tea! Monday is "Tea and Art" day, and on the table (besides our yummy chocolate squares and tea!) was Albrecht Durer's A Young Hare.
Photobucket

After this, it all gets blurry. Katie Grace had basketball and a friend of Michael's showed up and ended up staying for three hours.

And then there's What Didn't Get Done:
-my general tidy area, living room
-my deep cleaning area, the bathroom
-the downstairs vacuuming

Still, all in all it was a good day. If I can just get a handle on where to fit in the cleaning (because it's about to happen now, and cleaning at 9:45 PM is not my idea of a good time) and plan stuff for Nicholas, I'll be in great shape.

6 comments:

bethany said...

Wow. That's a really full day! I'm very impressed and wish I could find the energy and motivation to fit this much into our daily rhythm. I love the poem! I want to start doing a daily or weekly poem with the kids. Emma (my middle one) has started writing a book and I want to work out time each day where she can share what she has (very interesting story about two sisters who can shape shift into animals and are lost at sea).

Alexandra said...

Thanks for stopping by. :) The Gospel of John is one of my favorites.

Robin said...

I love, love, love your blog! You have inspired me! I am going to try to make my days more like yours! Afternoon tea with art is a great idea. I want to get that writing book you are using. I have bookmarked your blog and will return for more inspiration! Thank You!
Robin

Robin said...

I love, love, love your blog! You have inspired me! I am going to try to make my days more like yours! Afternoon tea with art is a great idea. I want to get that writing book you are using. I have bookmarked your blog and will return for more inspiration! Thank You!
Robin

Robin said...

I love, love, love your blog! You have inspired me! I am going to try to make my days more like yours! Afternoon tea with art is a great idea. I want to get that writing book you are using. I have bookmarked your blog and will return for more inspiration! Thank You!
Robin

Robin said...

Oh gosh I am sorry. I did not see that it was posting my message. I am not some nut, just computer illiterate.
Robin