Monday, July 7, 2008

This is a healing song... it helps when things go wrong...

We had a bit of a mishap at the grocery store. Nicholas, in his usual be-bopping way, be-bopped in front of me and tripped me. I scraped up my knee, my back is sore, and, although my mama instinct kicked in and I put my hand behind the baby's head so he wouldn't smash it on the ground (he was in the sling and I fell forward), I managed to bend my hand at an angle I am fairly certain it isn't meant to go.

The whole thing left me feeling very sore and achy. I also have a headache and feel generally out of sorts. I came home and took some arnica, which helped a little. But the whole ordeal made me think of how the children must feel after a particularly hard tumble. It really is a shock to the whole system! (At least, this is what I choose to believe and not, as DH says, that I am just getting old!)

When searching for the arnica, I thought of the Healing Basket we had when the children were smaller. Now I keep my meds and herbals waaaaaaaay up high where little hands can't reach them, homeopathics in one plastic bin, herbs in another, cough and cold remedies in another. The salves are all in a little crock downstairs on top of the hutch, as are the allopathic remedies.

Back in the day, when it was a more hopping list, WE_HS had a great discussion on healing or "boo boo" baskets. Ours had kid salve, arnica (both pellets and gel), band-aids, Schweitzter fluid, rose water for "fairy kisses" when a boo boo didn't really need any physical attention, Weleda calendula, wound, and burn ointments, and the Healing Pig, an herbal animal you can heat up and cuddle up to.

All this sat atop my favorite health and healing book for little ones, Your Vital Child: A Natural Healing Guide for Caring Parents by Mark and Angela Strengler.

I'd really like to get a basket like this together again. I'll post pictures when I do!

0 comments: