Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Cherry Picking!

Yesterday we picked up the van from the shop... again... and dropped Daddy off at the church. Then the four kids and I went cherry picking at Mountain View Farm!

We picked 15 pounds of cherries. Well, I picked 15 pounds of cherries. Michael picked about a dozen and decided to go read Superfudge and Katie Grace kept picking alongside of me, but really ate more than she picked. Daniel tried to pick cherries from the backpack but, alas, was thwarted at every turn, and Nicholas picked cherries that I later found in his pocket. He was saving them for his stuffed fruit bat. I love him like a son, but he is one odd child.

We filled the bucket with 15 pounds of cherries and paid 15 dollars. Awesome deal, if you ask me! We also saw tons of cicadas and learned how the orchard owners used a sound system with taped bird sounds to scare away any cherry-eating birdies. I'm totally counting it as our first day of 2008-2009 homeschooling!

Mostly we froze them, but I did manage to make a huge batch of cherry vanilla ice cream in the ice cream maker. Tonight I boiled some down and made a cherry glaze, which we had with a big hunk of ham that got sent home with us after Sunday's Pastor Potluck. Yum!

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comments:

bethany said...

"I love him like a son, "

roflol

I can't believe you picked cherries for $1/lb. They are $6.99/lb here---that's the on sale price. Organic is about twice that.

Great pics!