Friday, January 1, 2010

Book Review: Family Feasts for $75 a Week


For the past few months, we've been taking a Financial Peace University course at our church. I highly recommend it, and I really believe the principles we learned in the class are changing our lives, but that's a whole 'nother post. During the class, one of the facilitators brought in a book her daughter had recommended, Mary Ostyn's Family Feasts for $75 a Week. I jotted down the title and forgot about it, until I was ordering a few Christmas gifts from Amazon, when I decided to do exactly what Dave Ramsey says NOT to do, and order a little gift for myself.

I'm glad I didn't listen to Dave.

One of the struggles with feeding a largish family on a budget is that you feel as if you're constantly having to choose between eating cheap and eating healthy. This book does an excellent job of including recipes that have real food, not a bunch of processed junk.

Anyone can write a cookbook, though. Ms. Ostyn takes things one step further and coaches you through the process of paring down your grocery bill, offering a series of action points so you can work your way towards your goal. Now, I'll be honest-- my grocery budget for six people is $100 a week, which is comparatively low. But I'm garnering tons of tips from this book, and I'm hoping I can get my budget down to $50 a week by the end of the year, giving us more money to throw at our debt snowball.
Family Feasts for $75 a Week: A Penny-wise Mom Shares Her Recipe for Cutting Hundreds from Your Monthly Food Bill

0 comments: