After waking up, a breakfast of oatmeal, and some laundry folding, we got started on our day. We've changed up our routine a bit, and are now doing our "together" stuff (Story of the World and any art/music/etc) first thing. This has made an amazing difference-- we're now pretty much finished by lunch except for read-aloud and orchestra, and if there is anything left, it's stuff they can do independently. Cool beans.
We started out with devotions. We're learning about the names of Jesus. Today we read in the Bible that He is a "wonderful counselor". We had an interesting discussion about what that means.
Next, we read a little in the first chapter of The American Revolution for Kids. My little hippie babies totally dug the idea of protests and boycotts, and went on to make their own protest signs.

Meanwhile, Daniel, Nicholas, and I had our winter woods circle time from Winter Seasons of Joy. Lots of fun, especially the part where we took turns hiding Mr. Squirrel's seed and finding it so he would have food in the winter.
Nicholas's main lesson started with the story of The Elves and the Shoemaker. He helped tell it and sing the songs this time. We built a letter L from blocks and placed his church shoes on it.
We also made a little brown mouse from beeswax. For inexplicable reasons, Nicholas decided the mice needed to hitch a ride on the Wise Men's camels' backs on the nature table.
Daniel, meanwhile, worked his way through his "wonder baskets" (with many, many thanks to Kara over at Rockin' Granola for that name!). He played with his train his Grandma and Grandpa bought him,
placed juice lids "coin" in a coffee can "bank,"
and kicked around his football.
Katie Grace and Michael, meanwhile, were working through their workboxes and doing their independent work. When Nicholas was finished having his time with me, he did his workboxes as well.
Katie Grace reading Pilgrim's Progress.
Katie Grace helping Nicholas use ribbon strips to make rectangles and squares.
Nicholas and his mousie mask.
Nicholas and Daniel playing shoemaker in front of the tent they built.Michael didn't want his picture taken.
Katie Grace's main lesson was a review of the Annunciation. She made a gorgeous angel snowflake
and an Annunciation window transparency. Mary looks a but like a rocket ship about to blast off, LOL!
Michael's working on a botany main lesson, and did a beautiful painting of a sunflower. Unfortunately, the colors ran a bit.
By lunch, everyone was finished and had even practiced their instruments (violin for Katie Grace and cello and drums for Michael. Michael starts piano this week and I'm hoping to start Katie Grace as well, and we'll probably wait to start Nicholas on recorder.)After lunch we read The Silver Chair and packed up the Christmas stuff. Then we made Epiphany stars.
Obviously, it was a very busy day!





2 comments:
Awww, thank you - glad to return the inspiration for a change as I always find something lovely here :-)
Love the little mice hitchin' a ride LOL
You are so good about taking pictures and having your camera on hand. I always start out the day with that thought in mind, but then it doesn't happen that way. But, I bet it is really lovely for you to look back and see the pictures, too as I know it is for those of us who read to SEE and READ what you do :-)
Best Wishes!
Thanks! I actually start out with my camera in mind but fizzle out towards the end of the day. It's like "We did this and this and this and this in the morning... and then a bunch of stuff happened in the afternoon, but it's all kind of fuzzy," LOL!
I tried to change my kindergarten kid to "wonder boxes" as well, but he was offended. "I don't wonder; I do work!"
Post a Comment