
I'm behind on the posting, but not on the soupmaking!
As I wrote here, we're cooking our way through John McCutcheon's song Soup. Last week we made Quick Chicken and Dumplings from Southern Living's Kids Cookbook. Actually, the kids made the soup. It's not the healthiest recipe we've ever made, but it was quick and easy enough for the kids to do, and it was definitely yummy!
Quick Chicken and Dumplings
Combine 4 cups water, 3 cups cooked chopped chicken, 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, and 2 teaspoons of chicken bouillon, and 1 teaspoon pepper. (Instead of the water and bouillon, I just used chicken broth). Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring often.
Open a can of refrigerated buttermilk biscuits. Separate the biscuits in half, forming two rounds. Cut each round in half. Drop biscuit pieces on at a time into the boiling soup, stirring gently after each one is added.
Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes.
I also added some leftover mixed veggies. You could probably make your own biscuits to drop in, but alas, I don't know that there's any way around the cream of chicken soup.
3 comments:
I found this alternative to canned cream of chicken soup a few years ago:
2 c Nonfat dry milk (or use cream/whole milk if you're using it right away)
1/4 c heavy(strong) chicken stock
2 tb Dried onion (fresh if using right away)
1 ts Crushed thyme (fresh or dried)
1 ts Crushed basil (fresh or dried)
2 tb Butter
1 ts Pepper
3/4 c Cornstarch
Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container. To substitute for one can condensed soup, mix 1/3 cup of mix with 1 1/4 cups water in a saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened. (NOTE: For "flavored" soup, stir in 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms, celery, chicken, etc.)
OMGoodness, you are made of awesome!! Once we cook our way through the song, I'll have to try that. Who knows, it might even com in hand before we finish this whole experiment. Thanks, Rachel!
Post a Comment