'Tis the season.
Every year around Christmas, it's like the plague around here. I exaggerate not. One year everyone--including Daddy-- had chicken pox, another year it was bronchitis. We had an outbreak of head lice, and pink eye that made everyone's eyes swell shut, followed by a bonus round of "Guess Who's Allergic to the Eye Ointment?" (That would be Michael for you kids playing at home). Last year everyone was throwing up. The year before that? Baby chest x-ray! It's like Santa Claus brings a sleigh-full of germs.
No matter was the yearly ailment is, it almost always brings ear infections. My oldest is especially susceptible. He had seven (SEVEN!) ear infections by the time he was five months old and, while I know for a while they were handing out tubes like candy, they actually did Michael a lot of good.
I am motivated, however, to dig through my resources and make sure I have my natural healing staples for ear infections on hand.
Homeopathy: We've never had any luck with homeopathy for ear infections. This site does give some recommendations for homeopathic remedies for ear infections.
Nutrition: We really limit dairy and sugar during ear infections. None of my kids drink milk, but we limit other dairy when they're in the midst of an infection. Breastmilk is not dairy, of course, and nursing can really help a sick little one. For all kids, I make sure they're well hydrated, drinking plenty of water and herbal teas.
Herbal: Most of our herbal interventions take the form of eardrops: garlic and mullein oil, warmed beforehand, not only can help an ear infection but also make your little one smell delicious, as if they should be served up with a salad. I never, ever give drops if the ears are draining.
Vitamins: Vitamin C, of course, is essential to add whenever there's illness. I also like to give a low-dose zinc supplement.
Antibiotics: Typically, this is the first line of attack when treated conventionally. I really avoid these at all costs, especially since they've been shown to be rather ineffective. If I do resort to antibiotics, I try to have the child on a weeklong course of acidophilus.
Other Comfort Measures: A warm cloth or rice bag on the ear can really make little ones feel better. I'm partial to the herbal animals myself. And of course, lots of cuddling and loving!
Do you have ideas for treating ear infections naturally? I'd love to hear them!
We've moved... come and join us!
14 years ago
4 comments:
I use the Debrox ear drops. I am prone to ear infections myself and have been since infanthood. I have a sensitivity to dairy and seasonal allergies that lead to lots of post-nasal drip. Add a little dehydration and holiday/change of season stress and my ears usually swell up quite nicely. Anyway, the ear drop, warm compresses and lots of nasal rinsing usually keep me from needing to resort to antibiotics. Decent sleep in a not-too-dry room, lots of water and green or white tea with local honey doesn't hurt as well.
Thanks, Bethany! I never heard of those but will definitely look into adding them to our healing basket. Every. stinking. year. Michael gets infections.
A family we're friends with recommended a pinch of cayenne pepper on a cotton ball, placed in the opening of the ear. I have no idea how/why it works, but it definitely helps with the pain. We're also big fans of the Similisan Homeopathic ear relief drops; again, it doesn't treat the infection, but it helps with the pain while healing.
We're big fans of chiropractic care. It's not something you can do at home, but it is definitely effective. I had my first ear infection a few years ago. I never want to experience one again. As soon as I start feeling pressure in my ear I go get an adjustment. It also helps with sinus pain and headaches.
Post a Comment