Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Pantry challenge: Days Eight through Twelve

Boy, everything goes to heck during the holidays, doesn't it?

We've had multiple meals out-- church staff dinners and potlucks, parties with friends and anniversary dinners at fancy restaurants. On top of that, as I stated last week, weekends around here are made for leftovers. So there hasn't been a whole lot to report.

We did make a little bit of headway in the cereal stash. Although my ten-year-old informed me I'm buying all the wrong stuff. Apparently, I'm supposed to be purchasing that candy-in-a-box that masquerades as cereal. We've had oatmeal as well, and also grits. My kids like grits. Whoda thunk it?

Lunch has been mostly leftovers and PB and J, but you know, I'm OK with that. We're using up what we have. I'm hoping once the stockpiled stash is whittled down I'll be able to make some wiser choices when I start bulking it up again.

Last night we had another variation of a Mexican casserole-- this one had ground beef, seasonings, kidney beans and corn, and was topped with cornbread. These were all ingredients I had on hand.

Tonight we had a stirfry, again with on-hand ingredients. I cut up some round steak I had down in the freezer and added tons of leftover rice and veggies. It was pretty yummy!

Of course, with Christmas coming I did have to break down and buy a ton of food. We're having clam chowder on Christmas Eve, a huge meal Christmas Day, and meatball subs when family comes on Boxing Day. But I've also managed to use some stuff from my pantry. Tonight I made Glazed Chocolate Mini Loaves from this recipe, minus any Nestle ingredients since we boycott them. I had everything on hand, and bought some darling little mini loaf pans at Michael back at the beginning of the month. And we're making some chocolates in molds by melting down some Starbucks milk chocolate bars we bought 3/$1 at the Surplus Outlet.

One dubious advantage of being a clergy family is that we don't have to make cookies if we don't want to. The church ladies keep the pastor and his family well supplied! I have about 3 dozen assorted cookies sitting here, and that's not counting what the pastor managed to eat in his study. We are very blessed. Still, if I don't run out of time-- you don't want to see my pre-Christmas to-do list!-- I might make some cookies in the next few days with the kids.

Wishing you peace in the pre-Christmas rush!

0 comments: