Friday, December 11, 2009

Pantry Challenge: Day Three


Ah, the weekend! Generally we do a lot of leftovers on Fridays and the weekends, and today was no exception.

For breakfast, I made oatmeal and we sweetened it with plum or blueberry all-fruit, leftover from yesterday. Add a little fresh fruit and milk for those that wanted it, and you're ready to face the day.

Morning snack were yummy pretzel crackers from Aldis and the rest of the pumpkin bread from yesterday morning.

For lunch, we had--you guessed it!-- leftovers! Also, another advantage of our little Surplus Grocery Outlet is that they often get international foods, things that we would normally not try. They had some little heat-and-eat packages of Indian food, 2 for a dollar, and I picked up some Mutter Paneer with basmati rice for us to try. Michael really liked it!

Paneer is actually Indian cottage cheese, and it seems fairly straightforward to make, so we might try that sometime.

Afternoon snack was fruit and cheese with Daddy while Mama went to the dentist.

This evening we're splitting ranks. Katie Grace, Daniel, and I are going to the homeschool co-op Christmas party. It's "bring something to share," so we made one of my childhood favorites, tuna dip. It's just cream cheese (I bought a bunch when they were on sale, 2 for a dollar, and froze them) mixed with a can of tuna. Served with crackers, it's really yummy, and thanks to that Flips deal at Target, we have plenty of crackers. I'll also bring some whole grain crackers along as well. This also makes a quick and tasty lunch. I'm also bringing along some soda I picked up for a dollar a bottle.

The big boys and Daddy have a church event. I had actually forgotten about our evening plans and was going to make homemade pizza for dinner, but we changed the plan so that Daddy can just heat up a frozen pizza. Next week, homemade or bust! Friday is always, always, always pizza night at our house. It's a law. And I always keep a frozen pizza or two in the deep freeze for those times when life gets away from me. Because while it might not be the healthiest option, it's still a lot better and a lot less expensive than ordering it out. So tonight, it's pizza and salad for the boys while we're at the potluck.

We'll be having lots of goodies at the homeschool party, and the big boys will be having lots of goodies at their Christmas party. A good time will be had by all.

0 comments: