Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Pantry Challenge: Day Six

Phew! Now we're back in business!

Breakfast was muffins from La Leche League's fabulous Whole Foods for the Whole Family cookbook. We had ours with all-fruit, and it was delicious! Our grocery outlet often has King Arthur's whole wheat and unbleached white flour for 79 cents, and I have quite a bit of that in the deep freeze still.

Morning snack was whole grain crackers and some yummy cheese from our local Amish store.

Lunch... lunch was lovely. Down in the deep freeze I found 2.35 pounds of ox tails I bought from the Amish store because... um... because... well... I don't know why. Because I thought I could do something traditional food-ish with them and because it was only $1.50 for 2.35 pounds. In my Little House Cookbook, I found a great recipe and made a delicious stew for lunch. I actually only followed their directions for making the broth, and then added organic alphabet pasta (50 cents a box) and tons of green beans, peas, and corn.

For afternoon snack, we had smoothies. You see, I had this brilliant idea-- let's pick our own fruit and freeze it! Which I did, and then promptly forgot all about it. Do you see now why this pantry challenge is necessary?

Dinner was delicious-- mashed potatoes, asparagus (again, frozen on a whim), and London broil (buy one, get one). For desert, I used some canned plums to make a plum crumble. Everyone loved it. The kids said if I was on Top Chef, I would win, which is complete and utter bull, but still, lovely to hear.

3 comments:

Gina said...

Hello! I've been following your 'Pantry Challenge' with interest because I have found myself in a similar situation (full pantry and freezers due to preparedness thing combined with not wanting it to go bad and lower our outgoing $). I love how hearing about what you are coming up with from the stores.

I hope to start a similar challenge after the holidays (I've informally been doing it since the beginning of the month)

Gina said...

OOPS, forgive the bad editing!! :D

Annette said...

If you do, I hope you post about yours as well! I'm finding my biggest failing is that I tend to buy junk I would never buy if it were full price just because it's on sale. But we're plugging away!