Last time, we talked about mealtime rhythms and routines. This time, I'd like to talk about bedtime routines.
Sleep is so very important. We cannot function without it, and the quality of your sleep can strongly affect how you function during the day. A peaceful bedtime routine can lay the foundation for a peaceful night and a great next day.
Additionally, out of all our routines, the bedtime routine seems to be the one that most connects us together as a family. No matter how crazy busy our days are, we can all come together at night for a few peaceful moments to reconnect.

Our evening routine starts with what we call "a ten-minute tidy". The living area downstairs is all cleaned up, and then we head upstairs.
Next, we move onto baths and wash ups. One thing I love are essential oils/blends in the bath.
Most of mine are from Erbaviva, although I also have one from Green Tara Mama. We try to make baths peaceful times, with songs and splashes and bath toys.Next, we brush teeth. I keep a small hourglass egg timer in the bathroom to be sure they brush long enough.
Each of my kids have their own little baskets with their toiletries in it.After tidying the bathroom, we put jammies on and make sure our rooms are clean and clothes are down the laundry chute.
After this, we have story.
We keep a good-sized stack of bedtime books in our bedroom, but they really only keep the interest of the little ones. Occasionally, my husband has a read-aloud going at night, usually something of the Tolkien variety, although he did delve into The Children's Homer this summer. Sometimes we tell stories or fairy tales that will play into the next school day.We follow this up with evening prayers and blessings and then good night kisses and everyone is tucked in. We have little bedtime "altars" in each room.

I feel it's very important for the grown-ups to take the lead in the bedtime routine. This is not the time for making choices. Clearly state what is going to happen next, and then make it happen. This is one reason I like my bedtime routine chart, shown at the beginning of this post. For my older children, seeing it written out somehow makes it more real.
Some bedtime verses:
Good night! Good night!
Far flies the light,
And still God's love
Shall flame above
Making all bright.
Good night! Good night!
The moon is round
Stroke around face
The moon is round
Stroke around face again
It has two eyes
Touch eyes
One nose
Touch nose
And makes no sound
Press finger to lips in a "Shhh!" motion

1 comments:
Cute! I keep reading and someday I'll use everything you've written... thanks, Annette!
~Rachel
Post a Comment