Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Day in the Life...

Happy Tuesday!

We all got off to a sleepy start. Daniel had an absolutely miserable night. I actually don't think I've ever had a baby who had such bad nights.

Luckily I had oatmeal soaking for breakfast and the diapers were washed. While Chip finished up the oatmeal, I hung out the diapers.

Then, after breakfast cleanup and morning routines, the fun starts. I brewed some tea and then we had devotions. This week we're learning about treating one another with love and respect. This was followed up by the next section in our music book. We're learning about vibrations and sound.

Michael and Katie Grace both wrote in their journals while Nicholas, Daniel, and I read Old Mother Hubbard and some other nursery rhymes.

Katie Grace started on handwriting while Michael and I made corrections on yesterday's math chapter review. I feel like we're doing a lot better with making corrections this year. Then, while Michael worked on the test, Katie Grace and I worked some more with place value and comparing numbers. While she did her exercises, Nicholas and I explored larger and smaller. We enjoyed reading Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

Everyone was occupied, so I made the cake for Daddy's name day. It was actually yesterday, but better late than never, right? Then Katie Grace brought her reading into the kitchen. Michael worked on his handwriting and geography, and somewhere in there they both did their Calculadder as well. Oddly enough, they both really enjoy the timed math drills.

Spelling was next--Michael wrote his words in sentences, and Katie Grace spelled hers in finger paint. Then Michael worked on some writing and did some free reading, and Katie Grace listened to a Jolly Robin story and did a dictation. I made bread.

We finished with morning school around 11:15. Even after morning chores, the kids had time to play outside.

Lunch--Leftover Cafe--followed by kitchen clean up, and then we read a chapter in Augustine Came to Kent. It's not my favorite read aloud ever. The wordiness is a bit ridiculous. Daniel nursed to sleep while I was reading, so when we were done I put him upstairs, resisting the urge to curl up with him.

When I came down, Michael chose a science assignment. He's exploring his fingerprints this week. Katie Grace looked through the art books to choose a project. Then Michael planned his art project--making a comic strip--while Katie Grace drew a picture of how animals and humans coexist. She drew herself planting a butterfly garden. Story of the World was the story of Mohammad. Everyone had to chill a little when the baby woke up extremely grumpy. We did Latin while he nursed himself into a better mood. When he was less crabby, Michael did map work and Katie Grace colored a picture of a Bedouin.

Then it was clean up, and school was officially over.

Screen time followed--Michael has discovered Toppstown, and Katie Grace and Nicholas watched an episode of Pinky Dinky Doo while I started dinner. Aftwards, Nick and I planned his birthday party a bit and Katie Grace got ready for ballet. While she was gone, Michael read and played outside, and Nicholas and I made doggy ears and an Old Mother Hubbard cupboard and played Go Fish and Doggie, Doggie Where Is Your Bone. One of the things I love about homeschooling is how the day isn't over when the school day is finished.

I hope you had a lovely day as well!

0 comments: