Monday, September 22, 2008

Weekend(ish) Round-Up!



I'm so very behind.

One doctor appointment + one photo session + two wedding rehearsals + two weddings + three soccer games + one beginning of children's choir + one confirmation/dinner/youth group combo + one flat tire = CRAZINESS!!!!! (and not much done on the weekend)

But here we are, a day late and several dollars short, soldiering on.

1. Baby Goodness. I've cloth diapered four babies now. And while it's fun to buy the supercute dipes, it doesn't have to be all about consumerism and expense. Check out Tree Hugging Family's entry on DIY Cloth Diapers. Cloth diapers truly are better for baby and the environment, and once you get used to them, they really aren't much more trouble than disposables. Simply Home Remedies also has a tutorial on making fitted dipes.

2. Good Things to Eat. Hmmmm.... what should I make first? Enchilitos or Almost-Nutri-Grain Bars from Carrie's Cooking, Get Rich Slowly's homemade salsa, or the soaked oatmeal breakfast suggested on Passionate Homemaking? Or maybe some homemade chocolate syrup from Simply Home Remedies would cure what ails me.

3. Good Things for Little People. Speaking of cloth diapers, how about making some for your little one's dollies? Skip to My Lou has a tutorial here. Chasing Cheerios had some awesome ideas, as usual: a family memory game and some great shapes to make. And check out the beautiful toys and the autumn felt board Amanda over at A Miracle to Me made for the blessed little ones in her life!

4. Good Things for the Nature Table. I really need to change my nature table. I am ashamed to say there are still mermaids cavorting about seashells. I found inspiration in a new-to-me blog, Resurrection Fern. Check it out! You can knit a forest, wet felt a Cinderella pumpkin, or felt a little tree stump.

5. Good Things for Your Home. The blogosphere was awash with laundry talk this week. Keeping the Castle has a video, "How to Do Laundry." Working Title is figuring out how to be thrifty and save the planet in her laundry room.

6. Good Things for Your Fabric Stash. Is it odd that I rarely sew but still have a fabric stash? Frugal Village wants to help me with my "Sew Much Fabric, Sew Little Time" problem! And if that's not enough, Bohemian Revolution has a list of tutorials from Sew, Mama, Sew.

7. Good Things to Ponder. Starry Sky Ranch shared a great article on "The Montessori Home" (and, as she points out, in easily could apply to the Waldorf home or any other family aspiring to live simply. Zen Habits shares 10 Steps for Overcoming Micro-Addictions-- those annoying little habits that stop you from living the life you want.

8. A Joyful Heart Is Good Medicine.
If laughter is good medicine, Cake Wrecks should keep you healthy all winter long. She's been on a roll lately.

9. Good Things for the World.
Mom in Madison reminds us that September 21 is the International Day of Peace. This would also be a good time to read Ghandi's 5 teachings to bring about world peace on Zen Habits.

10. Good Things in Your Mailbox.
Finally, how cool is this? The Hearts and Trees fall kit: 7 notebooking pages, an art print with corresponding project, and 3 more projects with materials, all for just $11.95 plus shipping. I ordered one and can't wait until it arrives!

2 comments:

Amanda T said...

Oh I love these posts! Bookmarking this so I can check them all out later. And I'm also honored that my blog was on here too :) Thanks!

Hope this week isn't so crazy for you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to Keeping the Castle. Great round-up! It's the first time I've heard of soaked oatmeal. I have to try that one.